Preparations for the long awaited Krishna Pushkaralu or Pushkaram Festival are in full swing across Andhra Pradesh these days. And Vijaywada is the best place if you’re looking to participate in the festivities and celebration wholeheartedly.
Krishna Pushkaralu is held along the ghats of River Krishna and occurs only once in 12 years. The last Krishna Pushkaram occurred in 2004 and attracted about 30 million people from different parts of the country. This event is a part of Pushkaram – an ancient Hindu tradition of worshipping the holy rivers. Observed for a period of 12 days, it starts from the day planet Jupiter changes its position to enter the zodiac sign Virgo. It involves large gathering of pilgrims, spiritual discourses and reverences of ancestors, devotional music and cultural programs.
This year, the event will be starting from 12th August 2016 and go on till 23rd August 2016.
Top Pilgrim Spots –
A major attraction to visit during this time will be Kanaka Durga Temple – a famous Hindu temple of Goddess Durga located on the Indrakeeladri hill near the Krishna river in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh. Over 50 million visitors are expected to be a part of the Pushkaralu this year.
Timings for visiting the temple –
The best time to visit Kanaka Durga Temple near the Krishna river are –
4:00 AM – 5:45 PM (Dharma Dharshanam & Mukha Mandapam)
6:15 PM – 10:00 PM (Dharma Dharshanam & Mukha Mandapam)
5:00 AM – 5:45 PM (Antaralayam Dharshanam)
6:15 PM – 9:00 PM (Antaralayam Dharshanam)
Some of the famous ghats in Vijayawada to catch live happenings of the festival are –
- Pushkar Ghats
- Padmavati Ghat
- Durga Ghat
- Metela Bazar Bandar
- Sithanagarm Ghat Sithanagara
- Punnami Ghat Kummaripalem centre
- Siva Ksheatram Mandadam Center
To avoid the rush of devotees and overcrowding, you can also look for nearby offbeat destinations like Guntur, Kurnool, Mahboobnagar and Nalgonda to get a feel of the celebrations.
Andhra Delicacies at Pushkaralu –
While the festival can be a bit overcrowding and frenzied, the opportunity to try renowned delicacies in Vijayawada should definitely not be missed. From the legends native to Krishna district to the special stalls and eateries provided by voluntary organizations or philanthropists during Pushkaralu, there will be a variety of lip-smacking dishes from Andhra culture to try out.
Some of the famous food items to try out in Vijayawada are –
- Katte Pongali – Andhra style rice and moong dal dish that is often served in temples as Prasadam (Prashad).
- Pulihora – a traditional Tamarind rice dish which is considered a symbol of auspiciousness in the state.
- Gutti Vankaya Kura – a rich curry dish made with stuffed eggplant and Indian spices.
- Bandar/ Thokkudu Laddoo – one of the most the most popular Andhra Sweets with a smooth, creamy melt in the mouth texture.
Apart from these traditional savouries, there will be food courts featuring Coastal, Rayalaseema and North Indian food items as part of the festivities.
Accommodation during Krishna Pushkaralu –
We agree that Vijaywada would be flooded with large gathering of tourists during the 12 day celebration but with OYO, you don’t have to worry at all about your stay. Be it a budget or Premium accommodation preference, we have over 15 OYOs in Vijayawada to ensure a pleasant stay at an affordable price.
All our hotels come equipped with an AC, Wi-Fi, hygienic washrooms, clean linen and complimentary breakfast. And the best part is that you can book a stay anytime, anywhere through the OYO mobile app or website.
Also check out our second blog on Vijayawada that tells you about every other tourist place in and around the city right here.
Don’t know where to start your planning from? Start by booking your preferred hotel in Vijayawada today.
P.s. You might like these related resources:
- Pushkar: A Voyage through History, Spiritualism, and Culture
- These Temples in Pushkar Can Be the Experience of a Lifetime!
- Presenting Lucknow’s mouthwatering Awadhi cuisine - February 25, 2019
- 35 Yummilicious Foods To Definitely Try In Leh Ladakh- Food that you should not miss - January 24, 2019
- 35 Important Religious Places In India That Are A Must-Visit For Devotees - January 23, 2019
- Snaps from Lonavala – A captivating photo-blog - December 17, 2016
- India Surf Festival 2016 - October 27, 2016
- OYO StayOut – Anytime, Anywhere, Any Price Stays - October 22, 2016
- How India slays life’s evils through travel - October 17, 2016
- This Couple Goes On A Trip To Goa Every Year And They Don’t Plan To Stop - September 19, 2016
- 17 Unexplored Beaches of Goa To Visit Right Now - September 17, 2016
- Behind The Scenes – The Making of Ganesha - September 5, 2016