Culture might be spelt with ‘K’ as well if you have experienced ‘K’olkata. A city that has been immortalised in books, poems and restaurant menus across the world, offers a lifetime of things to explore. But what if you are staying for only a day in Kolkata? Fret not, here’s a list of things to do, which will give you an interesting teaser of Kolkata in just one day.
To save time, make sure you check out the authentic hotel booking sites and book a hotel room in the city well in advance.
- Victoria Memorial – The Centrepiece
It would be a crime to ignore the Victoria Memorial so let us just put it on top of the list. Kolkata’s legacy owes a lot to its strategic importance during the British Raj. Victoria Memorial is the symbol of the city, a seamless blend of the two distinctive architectural disciplines—the gentle intricacies of the Mughal blueprints wrapped with the grandeur of the British architecture. Take a quick tour of the museum or squeeze a visit here at night time when it is illuminated by the myriad coloured lights.
- The Beating Heart of Indian Cricket – Eden Garden
The tears of a World Cup semi-final, the triumph of one of the greatest test matches ever, and lately a stage for the glitzy Kolkata Knight Riders—Eden Gardens is indeed the Mecca of cricket in India. Walk around the stadium and imagine the deafening roar and passion when all the lights are put on and the ball hits the bat.
- The House of the Bard
Your Kolkata conversations are not complete without a nod to Rabindranath Tagore. A visit to Tagore House is recommended. The exhibits here include some of his personal artefacts and papers he had penned along with his old photographs.
- The Colors of the Flower Market
The Mullick Ghat flower market is considered as the biggest of its kind in Asia. Get inundated by a spectrum of all the colours of the season as you navigate the narrow streets and soak in the buzz of around. This is the quintessential bazaar scene that has greeted visitors across the past centuries. It’s a recommended experience for those who want to feel the pulse of the city.
- Howrah Bridge – Ferry Ride
Wrap up your one-day sojourn with a glimpse of the iconic Howrah Bridge. The best way to do it is from a ferry and the best time to catch a view is in the evening, as the bridge shines brightly above the dark waters and the city settles into a million lights in the backdrop.
- Snack Breaks across the Town
Kolkata is a kaleidoscope of cultures, which has gifted some delicious cuisines to the city. Head over to Terreti Market to sample some of the most heavenly street snacks. Pick up some fresh Chinese sausages, bite into a delectable baozi bun and complete the culinary trip with a savoury fish meatball soup. End your one day tour on a sweet note. Enjoy some rolls and celebrate the day with a ravishingly sweet roshogolla at the famous Balaram and Radharam Mullick store.
After exploring the best of the city, get rid of the day’s fatigue with a comfortable stay. We recommend booking your hotel in advance to avoid the last-minute inconvenience.
- Vibrant And Joyful, This OYO Home Is Soothing For Tired City Eyes - February 18, 2019
- Which OYO are you? - February 14, 2019
- Valentine Special - February 11, 2019
- 12 Latest Indian Bridal Dress Trends for 2018 - February 8, 2019
- 5 Types of travel photos your Instagram must have - February 6, 2019
- 15 Best Places To Visit In Kuala Lumpur At Night - February 5, 2019
- We all definitely need a trip to Blackpool - February 5, 2019
- 15 Fantastic Bride and Groom Wedding Dress Combination - February 3, 2019
- Top 10 Things to Do in Pune - February 2, 2019
- 15 Best Relaxing Places of Malaysia You Should Visit - February 2, 2019