For years, Blackpool was THE holiday destination in the North of England – until the practice of taking holidays abroad became popular. You can’t blame Britons for wanting to go for foreign destinations with guaranteed sunshine, but it meant that Blackpool and other holiday towns like it fell out of favour.
But Blackpool hasn’t been a destination for its weather since Victorians took to its promenades to enjoy the healthful benefits of the fresh sea air. Blackpool is about pleasure, pure and simple. These days, its slightly faded glamour gives pleasure-seeking in this town a historical dimension. Sure, it’s a bit kitsch – but the fun fair is really good!
High season for Blackpool is in the autumn when the lights come on. For 66 days each year, the Blackpool Illuminations cast their glare along the seafront. Their gaudy brilliance has to be experienced – the best spot to view them is at the end of the North Pier at dusk, when the lights in the town start twinkling on.
The crowning glory of the city, however, is Blackpool Tower. From its top you can see a beautiful panorama landscape, reaching from the expanse of the North Sea towards the hills of the Lake District. Following a stop there, afternoon tea at the Tower Ballroom is a must. It’s a spectacular Victorian space filled with historic atmosphere. Full of old-fashioned charm, there’s something heartwarming about the fact so many people still go there to dance together on the weekends. No dance partner? No problem, anything goes here as long as you’re in a couple and it’s strictly ballroom.
If you’re looking for a weekend getaway with a touch of vintage nostalgia, book a weekend away in Blackpool. You’ll get a healthy dose of sea air and a touch of old school glamour on a trip to the quintessential British seaside.
There will be fish and chips, there will be Blackpool rock, and yes, there’ll be Kiss Me Quick hats.
And thank goodness for it!
- Top 16 Things to do in Kolkata in 24-hours - July 25, 2019
- Savour These Delicacies While in Bali for a True Gastronomical Treat! - May 29, 2019
- A Seasonal Guide to Sri Lanka – The Pearl of the Indian Ocean 2019 & 2020 - May 24, 2019
- All Set for Ladakh? Follow This Checklist for a Great Trip to The Trans-Himalayan Valley - May 24, 2019
- Six Experiences You Mustn’t Miss in Sri Lanka for A Fabulous Trip! - May 24, 2019
- Planning Guide for A Wonderful Stay in The Snow Land Himachal with Minimum Coin Shilling! - May 24, 2019
- 5 Bazaar Ramadan terbaik di Kuala Lumpur. - May 15, 2019
- Planning to Visit Ladakh? Here is a Seasonal Guide to Help You Plan Your Trip - May 8, 2019
- Visit These Places in Bali For an Exciting Vacation in The Tropical Island! - May 7, 2019
- 8 Best Places to Spend Your Vacation in the Hills of Himachal Pradesh - April 17, 2019