Solang Valley (locally known as Solang Nullah) is located 16 km from Manali, Himachal Pradesh. At an altitude of around 8500 feet above sea level, Solang offers picturesque views of snow and natural laurels.
HOW TO REACH SOLANG VALLEY
- The nearest Domestic airport is at Bhuntar (Kullu), 63 km from Solang Valley. Prepaid taxis are available from Bhuntar airport for Solang Valley.
- The nearest International airport is at New Delhi.
- Joginder Nagar is the nearest railway station, 50 km away from Solang Valley (narrow gauge railway station).
- Other closest broad gauge railheads are at Chandigarh (310 km) and Ambala (300 km).
- Solang Valley is well connected to cities such as Delhi, Chandigarh and Shimla via motorable roads. One can hire a taxi/board a bus from these cities.
- The hill resort of Solang valley is situated on the NH 21.
- Taxis can be hired from Manali to cover the 13 km distance to Solang.
NOTE: All transport mediums are stopped a few kilometres before the valley. One has to completely rely on local transport or has to walk to reach the heart of the valley.
Solang Nullah derives its name from Solang (Nearby village) + Nullah (water stream from a mountain). The serene atmosphere created by the vastness of the ultramarine sky, the green valleys and the distant snow-capped peaks make one soak in the pristine nature here.
BEST TIME TO VISIT SOLANG VALLEY
Solang Valley can be visited throughout the year.
- Pleasant weather.
- One can enjoy various adventurous activities like paragliding, river rafting, zorbing, etc.
- Be enthralled by the various winter sports like Skiing as winters mark its onset in these months and the valley is covered with a snow blanket.
ACCOMMODATION IN SOLANG VALLEY
One can find several places to stay in Manali, 13 km from Solang. Solang too has options for stay. Tents/campsites in the Solang Valley are also preferred by several travellers (during summers).
SKIING IN SOLANG
Solang is not just about the scenic views, it offers a variety of adventure activities that gather numerous visitors from India and abroad every year.
Skiing is an adventurous winter sport and Solang offers challenging slopes for skiing for both beginners and advanced skiers.
The Solang Ropeway is a favourite amongst the tourists as it affords the best views of the Solang Valley.
It helps the skiers to go at higher slopes and glide down, with the cold wind brushing their faces and the level of adrenaline pumping up!
SOME FACTS ABOUT SOLANG:
- This fabulous place is also the centre of the Annual Winter Skiing Festival.
- There are workshops held for teaching amateurs/day tourists the basics of skiing.
- The Solang Valley is also the place where the Ski School of Manali is located.
- The National Senior Alpine Skiing Championship is organized every year in Solang Valley from January-February.
- Many Bollywood movies have been shot in Solang Valley.
- Initiation of International Skiing Competition like Alpine Premier League has made the valley popular amongst foreign tourists.
THINGS TO CARRY
- Proper woollens (especially if you are travelling in winters). You will need layers of clothes.
- Carry a good pair of socks, gloves, comforters, jackets, pullovers, trousers, etc.
- Carry water and windproof jackets.
- A good pair of gum/snow boots is advised.
- Torch with an extra battery.
- Carry your personal first aid kit.
- The tourists who are interested in skiing may bring the equipment of their choice with them. However, Ski equipment is also available on hire.
- Carry a SPF 35> sunscreen, moisturizer and other toiletries.
So, get ready for an adrenaline boost because when you’re in Solang, adventure is in the air. Grab your skiing gears because Solang is waiting for you!
- Vibrant And Joyful, This OYO Home Is Soothing For Tired City Eyes - February 18, 2019
- Which OYO are you? - February 14, 2019
- Valentine Special - February 11, 2019
- 5 Types of travel photos your Instagram must have - February 6, 2019
- We all definitely need a trip to Blackpool - February 5, 2019
- Top 10 Things to Do in Pune - February 2, 2019
- Travel Like a Local in London - January 29, 2019
- The Top 10 Restaurants in Noida - January 17, 2019
- Top 10 Temples to Visit in Shirdi - January 17, 2019
- Top 10 Shopping Destinations in Chennai - January 14, 2019