Snuggled in the lap of the Garhwal Himalayas, Auli is full of natural splendour. Offering enlivening views of the snow-capped peaks, it is among the most visited hill-stations of the country. It overlooks Nanda Devi—the second highest mountain in India. Situated in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand, Auli is perched at an altitude of 2800 metres above the sea level, which makes it one of the top ski destinations as well. The slopes of Auli are suitable for professional skiers as well as beginners.
Skiing in Auli
Reputed internationally, the slopes of Auli offer a thrilling ski experience. Stretched to about five kilometres of glittering white snow slopes, Auli lures professional as well as novice skiers. The slopes here provide excellent opportunities for cross-country, slalom and downhill skiing.
There are mainly four kinds of slopes in Auli:
- Slope no. 10 (white) – 900m
- Slope no. 8 (blue) – 800m
- Temple track (red) – 400m (for beginners)
- Composite slopes – 3.1km
Apart from this, there’s one more interesting fact about Auli. It hosted the first South Asian Winter Games in 2011.
There are two international ski lifts for skiers who link the upper and lower slopes.
- Standing Ski Lift – 500m, which connects Temple Track with tower no. 10
- Chair Ski Lift – 800m, which connects Auli to Clifftop Club
Ski training in Auli
Auli is also a training ground for those aspiring to ski skillfully with the help of qualified instructors. These instructors are from Skiing and Tourist Resorts, Auli and Indian Institute of Skiing and Mountaineering, Gulmarg.
The Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam (GMVN) conducts seven and 14 days skiing courses for the learners.
Best time to visit Auli
Away from the busy and tedious lives, Auli welcomes tourists all around the year.
- Summer: The months from March to June are pleasant with moderate climate (15 °C average). This time is also ideal for sightseeing.
- Monsoon: It’s advisable that you avoid visiting Auli during monsoon that is from July to October. This is because it rains heavily in Auli during this time and the average temperature is around 12 °C.
- Winter: If you want to enjoy the ice-capped mountains, the best time to visit Auli is from December to March. The months from November to February are freezing with minimum temperature dropping below 0 °C. Snowfall is common, making this time ideal for skiing.
Things to carry
- Thermal inners, mufflers, a pair of socks, gloves, comforters, windproof jacket, pullovers and trousers.
- Snow boots
- Sunscreen (SPF 35 or above), high SPF lip balm and moisturiser
- First aid kit
*You can bring your skiing equipment as well as rent it.
Preparation for skiing
Auli usually gets dreadfully cold, which is why it gets important to maintain a basic level of fitness before exploring its skiing trails. This helps to avoid injuries while skiing. Start exercising a month before you plan your skiing trip to Auli. You mainly need to focus on strengthening your abs, arms, quadriceps and calves.
For those who loathe the gym, running for half an hour daily, thrice a week will help to keep fit.
With all this information at hand, do not procrastinate your dream of skiing in Auli. Pack your bags and head to the snow-laden Auli.
- Top 16 Things to do in Kolkata in 24-hours - July 25, 2019
- Savour These Delicacies While in Bali for a True Gastronomical Treat! - May 29, 2019
- A Seasonal Guide to Sri Lanka – The Pearl of the Indian Ocean 2019 & 2020 - May 24, 2019
- All Set for Ladakh? Follow This Checklist for a Great Trip to The Trans-Himalayan Valley - May 24, 2019
- Six Experiences You Mustn’t Miss in Sri Lanka for A Fabulous Trip! - May 24, 2019
- Planning Guide for A Wonderful Stay in The Snow Land Himachal with Minimum Coin Shilling! - May 24, 2019
- 5 Bazaar Ramadan terbaik di Kuala Lumpur. - May 15, 2019
- Planning to Visit Ladakh? Here is a Seasonal Guide to Help You Plan Your Trip - May 8, 2019
- Visit These 7 Places in Bali For an Exciting Vacation in The Tropical Island! - May 7, 2019
- 8 Best Places to Spend Your Vacation in the Hills of Himachal Pradesh - April 17, 2019