Darjeeling, the quaint hill station from the remains of India’s colonial past needs no introduction. While planning a trip to this Northeastern wonder, travellers often wonder what is the best time to travel to Darjeeling. Anyone who has travelled to this destination would agree that March, April and May (Spring) and September, October and November (Autumn) are the best months to travel to Darjeeling. Here are details on the weather of Darjeeling for every season and month to help you decide the right time of your visit.
Darjeeling Weather: Year-round Report
Darjeeling Weather in September, October and November (Autumn)
- Autumn in Darjeeling starts in September and lasts till November.
- One of the best seasons to visit Darjeeling.
- Mist recedes and the sky is clear.
- Best time to enjoy views of Kanchenjunga and Himalayas.
- Great time for photography.
- Sometimes occasional showers are experienced.
- October is the month when the beauty of the city is at its peak.
- The slightly chilly weather is pleasant and enjoyable.
Darjeeling Weather in December, January and February (Winter)
- Winter starts in December and goes on till February.
- January is the coldest month of the season.
- The weather is perfect to ring in the New Year.
- It is also an ideal time for planning a honeymoon trip.
- Snowfall is rare in Darjeeling.
- Occasional hailstorm is expected.
- Heavy woolens are necessary.
Darjeeling Weather in March, April and May (Spring/Summer)
- Cold starts to fade away and the weather gets pleasant from March.
- One of the best seasons to visit Darjeeling.
- Colourful Magnolia and Rhododendrons bloom aplenty all around.
- During May, the weather becomes warm enough to enjoy outdoor activities.
- The sky is mostly clear.
- Marked by some occurrences of hailstorm.
- The town is filled with tourists.
Darjeeling Weather in June, July and August (Monsoon)
- Monsoon in Darjeeling starts by the last week of June and goes on till August.
- The skies remain cloudy and the city witnesses torrential rainfall.
- As per records, around 700 mm of rainfall takes place in the months of July and August.
- Best time to enjoy nature as rains give the hills a lush tint, adding to the beauty of the town.
- Tourist activities are sluggish, hence hotels, taxis, etc. are available at a cheaper tariff.
- The temperatures drop and it is not as warm as summer.
- Mist gives a unique charm to the town.
Places To Visit In Darjeeling:
Tiger Hill, located 11 km from Darjeeling, is the highest peak of Darjeeling Himalayan Railways. From here, you can enjoy the view of Kanchenjunga. You can also get a glimpse of Mount Everest on a clear day.
Located at the border of Jalpaiguri, Samsing is a quaint and popular tourist spot. One should not miss a visit to this place on their Darjeeling trip. Its lush greenery comprises of forests and tea gardens.
Sandakphu, located at the India – Nepal border, in Darjeeling district, is the highest Himalayan peak of West Bengal. The special thing about Sandakphu is that it is the only place where one can see four peaks – they are Mt.Everest, Kanchenjunga, Lhotse and Makalu.
A picturesque town in Darjeeling, Mirik is popular among tourists for its natural beauty. It has the beautiful Sumendy Lake located amidst pine trees.
Bhutia Busty Monastery
This monastery, belonging to the Red Sect of Buddhist Lamas is located in Tongsong in Darjeeling and is also called as Karmaa Dorjee Chyoling monastery.
How To Reach Darjeeling
Darjeeling is 87 km from the nearest airport i.e. the Bagdogra airport via NH 31 whereas NH 55 takes you through a 69 km long route. Regular flights connect this small airport to other major cities of the country.
Trains from across the country halt at New Jalpaiguri that is only 80 km from Darjeeling. Darjeeling is also connected by toy train from New Jalpaiguri.
Darjeeling is connected to Siliguri by road. The route via NH 55 is 64 km long and the route via NH 31 is 74 km long. This road trip is very beautiful.
Darjeeling Himalayan Railway
Also referred to as Darjeeling Toy Train, Darjeeling Himalayan Railway is a narrow gauge railway line running between New Jalpaiguri and Darjeeling. It was built during 1879 – 1881. It has been honoured with the prestigious World Heritage Site status.
Best Time To Visit Darjeeling for Snow
Snowfall rarely occurs in Darjeeling. However, you can visit North Sikkim destinations like Lachung, Lachen, Yumthang, etc. if you wish to enjoy snow in winters.
Best Time To Visit Darjeeling for Honeymoon
Winter is undoubtedly the best time for a Darjeeling honeymoon. The weather is cold and the town is not crowded, making it the perfect paradise for couples.
Now that you know so much about Darjeeling, why not give it a chance? Book a package, pack your bags and get ready for an amazing trip to the land of tea and beautiful hills. You will surely return refreshed and rejuvenated!
- Host the Best Feast Ever by Avoiding These 12 Wedding Catering Fails - July 21, 2018
- 15 Fun Bridesmaid Poses With The Bride To Celebrate Her Wedding Event - July 21, 2018
- 10 Latest Indian Bridal Dress Trends for 2018 - July 21, 2018
- 10 Pre Wedding Photoshoot Ideas - July 20, 2018
- Top 10 Things To Do In Kerala - July 16, 2018
- Best Time To Visit Sikkim and Gangtok - July 16, 2018
- Changu Lake, Sikkim – A Comprehensive Travel Guide - July 16, 2018
- Top 10 Things To Do In Sikkim - July 16, 2018
- Why Should You Travel To Sikkim? - July 16, 2018
- 30 Most Beautiful Pictures That Prove Himachal is a Traveller’s Paradise - July 16, 2018