Carefully placed between the lush of Western Ghats and the sparkle of Arabian Sea, Alappuzha embraces all solace seeking hearts into its manifold. The land of dreamy sunsets and calming skies provides every dose of living the laidback life. Surrounded by the roaring waves and quaint little thatched roofs hidden behind swaying palm trees, allow the current in the Alleppey backwaters guide you to a different world.
Trust us on this, Alappuzha has a lot more to what meets the eye. Why don’t you plan a trip to Alappuzha and discover the hidden gems on your own? Let our Alappuzha Tour Packages add a bit of fervor, to your fun expedition!
Best Time to Visit
With cool weather and pleasantly sunny days, the winter months from November to February are favorite among tourists to explore the backwaters of Alappuzha. The monsoon season from June-Sept is best to be avoided unless the unavailability of houseboats does not hinder your plans. Summers can get a little too hot and humid; although if the hotel discounts are too tempting, don’t hesitate in planning your trip, with plenty of sunscreen and cotton wear!
Places to Visit
(i) Cruising the backwaters in a houseboat is a must for relishing uninterrupted views of palm fringed shorelines accompanied by singing birds and soothing breeze. With a rousing environment and exquisite views, meandering through the city by a boat ride is an experience to savor for life.
(ii) Located in the heart of Alappuzha backwaters, Vembanad Lake welcomes its visitors with hues of emerald and sapphire ringed by palm trees. Houseboats and canoes are ideal to meander through the vast expanse of this lake. One can also witness the much famed snake boat races if visiting around the Pongal.
(iii) On the banks of Vembanad Lake, Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary shelters a multitude of native and rare migratory birds along with fluttering butterflies. A true delight for all nature lovers and photography enthusiasts, this bird sanctuary is a favourite destination for tourists in alleppey.
(iv) At a distance of 10 km from the city centre, Kuttanad offers vibrant fields of paddy in the backdrop of soothing backwaters. Popularly known as the ‘rice bowl of Kerala’, a visit to Kuttanad unfolds the beauty of Kerala countryside accompanied by the whistle of coconut trees.
Where to Eat
A favorite holiday destination, Alappuzha caters a large variety of multi cuisine restaurants that offer a soothing ambiance and scrumptious choices in food and drinks. With appams, idlis and ghee roast dosa forming the essentials on the Alappuzha must haves; locally fermented alcoholic beverages and rice wine deserve a good try!
- Located on the Punnamada Road, head out to Thaff Delicacy for an authentic Kerala experience
- Popular for its chicken and mutton biryani, Halais Restaurant on CCSB Road promises to be a great value for money
- With a lovely beach side location, Dreamer’s Cafe on Beach Road offers a relaxing homely ambiance and a variety of international cuisines to choose from
- Located on Mullackal Road, Kream Korner Art Cafe is an absolute delight, with its vibrant interiors, contemporary art and an exotic variety of dishes
- An open air restaurant, Mushroom, located on CCSB Road is the perfect place to hog for generous portions of chicken and mutton delicacies along with seafood at reasonable prices!
Where to Shop
Not an ideal shopper’s haven, yet the quaint little town of Alappuzha offers a refreshing taste for retail therapy.
(i) The most popular shopping hub is the area of Mullackal, with several stores offering a wide range of coir products, spices, perfumes and more. This is the ideal place for souvenir shopping. Don’t forget to haggle the price!
(ii) For an assorted range of spices like cardamom, cinnamon, pepper and authentic coconut oil; Canal Bazar promises to be a delightful experience.
(iii) Another unique and intriguing sight is the Floating Mall which floats on a boat. Sailing along the banks of Vembanad Lake, this mall provides all items of everyday utility to the nearby villages
One of the most sorted destinations for travellers across the world, Alappuzha combines the fine blend of tranquility and rejuvenation. Explore the world of waterways and simplistic charm of rural life in the backyard of God’s very own country!
- 6 Safest And Best Places To Travel Alone In North India - January 23, 2018
- Sailing through the Alappuzha backwaters: A Travel Guide - December 26, 2017
- Into the wilderness of Darjeeling: A Travel Guide - December 26, 2017
- 5 Best Weekend Getaways From Chandigarh Within 300 kms - December 15, 2017
- Andaman Travel Guide: A Tryst With Nature - December 11, 2017
- The Most Vibrant Party Destinations To Bid Goodbye To 2017 - December 8, 2017
- Winter Wonderland: Escape the Icy Chill This Winter - December 8, 2017
- ‘Tis The Season To Be Jolly At These Ideal Getaways For Christmas Weekend - December 6, 2017
- Meandering Through the Famous Lakes of India - December 4, 2017
- Experience the Wonders of Trivandrum: A Travel Guide - December 1, 2017