Amazing Cycling Trails In Hyderabad That You Should Definitely Try
Of all the beautiful places in Hyderabad and its tourist landmarks, there are some which call out to the unsung traveler, one who prefers solitude, embracing Nature in her finest garb or simply the thrill of the unknown. If you haven’t guessed what we’re talking about yet, take a moment to think of Hyderabad’s quaint greenery laden cycling trails which are hugely popular with professionals, amateurs and simple enthusiasts alike.
There are several options when it comes to the best places to chill in Hyderabad albeit when it is chilling of a different kind. One involving a bicycle, riding gear and the open sky and cheery winds. Hyderabad has plenty of these amazing trails which you would be loath to miss, particularly if you’re a biking enthusiast. Even if you’re not or haven’t indulged in this activity before, it’s never too late to start. Who knows? You might end up rediscovering a whole new side to yourself while exploring some of the city’s greenest areas by yourself. Making new friends is of course an added bonus, particularly if you enroll in a cycling/bike club.
Hyderabad’s fabulous leisure cycling trails leave enthusiasts spellbound
Hyderabad Bicycling Club (HBC) has been at the forefront of promoting leisure and competitive cycling alike in the city. The group has members dividing into smaller groups that organize several rides throughout Hyderabad. These cater to casual leisure riders who wish to have a blast while there are other groups of more professional riders eyeing a break across global and national events.
Competitive cyclists prefer getting out when the city sleeps and when there is minimal traffic. They train along routes such as the Outer Ring Road service road, Shamirpet, Medchal and even the Necklace Road within city limits. The Tank Bund loops are popular and so are 3-4 loops till the Jubilee Hills check-post from the Nagarjuna Circle. Those looking for hill training take the Erra Manzil Road which is right next to Taj Krishna. The Whisper Valley route is one of the toughest ones for competitive riders. The usual routes cover a maximum of 60-70 kilometres of riding for these groups.
Leisure riders can consider the 10 kilometer loop which runs around the pristine Hussain Sagar Lake along with the 5 kilometer loop running around KBR Park. The Gandipet stretch works and so does the Outer Ring Road service road. The Suchitra-Medchal-Shamirpet loop is ideal for those looking to cover longer distances. Locals also recommend the Secunderabad Cantonment zone along with the Narsapur area which enables rides up to 100 kilometers or even more.
Handy tips for aspiring cyclists
- Refuel smartly along the route with chikki, dates or 1-2 bottles of water.
- Avoid stopping for heavy breakfasts or tea breaks.
- Choose your route with help from the Hyderabad Bicycling Club; they organize rides throughout each week.
- You can register at joinhbc.in
- Keep an eye out for Green Rides each Thursday from 5.45 AM onwards. They ride across 20 kilometres from the Trimulgherry Crossroads in Secunderabad.
- Sundays are usually reserved for two-lake 45 kilometer rides from the Gachibowli Bike Station (opposite to the Biodiversity Park). This ride spans Himayat Sagar and Osman Sagar lakes.
- Other Sunday rides have members meeting at LB Nagar Aero Bus Stop and they cover the stretch till Manneguda Outer Ring Road.
- There are also Watermelon Rides along Necklace Road with the ride ending at the popular Watermelon Bandi near the Prasads Multiplex.
- There are Kompally rides near the Runway 9 as well.
- Make sure that the cycle is properly maintained and in good condition. Have your helmet strapped on at all times.
- Have some spare tube and puncture repair kit nestled under the seat along with some emergency cash.
List of Dedicated Cycling Lanes in Hyderabad
It’s not just about the lengthier cycling trails in and around Hyderabad; here’s presenting a list of the dedicated lanes for cycling in the city.
- Biodiversity Complex from the HITECH City till Mindspace Junction (cycle renting point is also available here).
- IDBI Junction till Waverock in the Hyderabad Financial District, Cyberabad. There are cycle renting companies here along with various cycle to work
- Secunderabad Cantonment Board Roads.
- Shilparamam and Botanical Garden in HITECH City.
- Necklace Road, Saifabad.
- Gachibowli Stadium.
- KBR Park
- Durgam Cheruvu Lake (has side lanes for cycling) at HITECH City.
HBC (Hyderabad Bicycling Club) is one of the biggest such clubs for cycling across the world. The key advantage in the city is that the roads are wide and well organized, making them more conducive for early morning or evening cycling (before and after rush hour). So, what are you waiting for? Strap on that helmet, wheel out your ride and get going with gusto!
Deprecated: the_author_description is deprecated since version 2.8.0! Use the_author_meta('description') instead. in /var/www/html/travel-guide/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4713
Preeti Asri is a SEO Consultant in India. She has a hands-on experience of more than 10 years in SEO. It's her passion to help online SMEs grow their business. Because she believes that her career graph is directly proportional to how much her clients' businesses grow organically.
Follow On: Instagram