COVID-19 has impacted the global hospitality industry significantly with occupancies of various hotel chains being affected drastically. In this unprecedented and difficult period, OYO, one of the world’s leading hotel chains, too is evaluating several measures for the long-term success of the company, while remaining committed to doing all it can for the welfare of the community at large. The company today, announced the creation of the OYO Welfare Fund, the proceeds of which will be used for the benefit and welfare of the employees at OYO properties, asset partners and their staff members in impacted situations such as the COVID-19 pandemic or the consequent restrictions all over the world. In the long run, this fund will also be used for the welfare of the community at large when faced with such tough situations.
Through this Welfare fund, OYO employees have the opportunity to contribute voluntarily to help those in need. The OYO leadership team and company are further contributing INR 2.5 crore (INR 25 million) to the Indian PM CARES fund to support millions of people with healthcare, infrastructure, and other facilities. The company has made global investments worth of approximately USD $3.5M or INR 25 crs in the fight against COVID-19 and pledges to continue doing all it can to support those in need.
Commenting on the development, Ritesh Agarwal, Founder & Group CEO said, “The current situation world over is deeply concerning to each and every one of us. We are grateful to the Oyopreneurs who have donated generously and continue to come forward to do so. I honestly believe that it is our responsibility to come together and give back the love and support we have always received from everyone.”
Some initiatives by OYO, around the world:
- In the UK, OYO hotels are available to those in need at a flat weekly price for 7 days or more
- In the US, OYO has offered rooms across 300+ hotels for free to all medical professionals, including doctors, nurses and first-responders to ensure that they can take rest, shower or just get off their feet and recharge. Everyone at OYO is grateful for the bravery and sacrifices all the medical personnel are making to save lives and stop the spread of COVID-19
- In Malaysia, OYO is offering complimentary rooms to medical practitioners at 3 of the busiest public hospitals treating COVID-19 cases in the country. For government employees and those working in essential services, we are offering relaxation of up to 50% across OYO hotels. Additionally, the company has reached out to embassies and consulates to offer discounted tariffs for tourists/guests who need a place to stay
- In the Philippines, OYO is offering accommodation at discounted prices to practitioners from hospitals within a 5-kilometre radius of our hotels in Mindanao
- In India, OYO recently partnered with Apollo Hospitals to offer sanitized beds and facilities in certain COVID-19 exclusive hotels it identified within its network in the proximity of Apollo Hospitals across 6 cities (Mumbai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Chennai, Bengaluru and Kolkata) for the purposes of self-quarantine and isolation for suspected COVID-19 patients. OYO has made outreach to relevant Ministries, state governments as well as local authorities to offer some of its properties for pay-per-use quarantine facilities at a reasonable and affordable price. OYO is also keen to support the lodging requirements of those PGs, travellers and tourists who are stranded as well as hospital staff, air and sea crew, who are at the frontline of India’s fight against coronavirus through a combination of OYO hotels and OYO LIFE offerings.
- Since the disease started, OYO has been distributing masks, sanitisers and other personal protective gear across markets to ensure the safety of its colleagues who were on the frontline before country-specific lockdowns
- OYO is encouraging the highest levels of hygiene across our buildings and extended all possible support to our asset partners as they navigate through these tough times