Best Time To Visit Srinagar And Explore A Paradise On Earth!
If you are planning to escape to an idyllic hill station amidst the snow clad mountains and alluring environs, away from the humdrum of dreary city life, then Srinagar might just be the perfect choice for you. The beautiful hill station is nestled in the lap of Kashmir Valley, on the banks of River Jhelum, and the Srinagar weather has a lot to offer, making it a memorable experience in all seasons. Irrespective of the month you choose to visit, Srinagar offers a delightful view of the neighbouring valleys, scores of picturesque sights and temples, placid lakes and sky-high mountains. The summer capital city of Jammu Kashmir is every bit the epitome of heaven on earth, and is easily accessible from Shimla, Delhi and Chandigarh by air, making it one of the most sought after weekend destinations for travellers seeking a pleasurable holiday.
Why is Srinagar like a paradise?
Lofty hills, wonderful weather, serene lakes, gorgeous scenic vistas, dancing rivers, beautiful valleys and captivating greenery-the picturesque hill town of Srinagar offers something for everyone. The multitude of tourist spots around Srinagar never cease to captivate you with their mesmerizing beauty and leave you enthralled. No matter how often you have visited this place, the Dal Lake, Mughal Gardens, Nishat Bagh, Shalimar Bagh, Char Chinar and other popular places in Srinagar never cease to charm you and promise some great memories, thrilling adventures, spiritualism, and truck loads of nature-close moments.
How to plan the trip?
To make your stay comfortable, there is a good selection of plush and affordable hotels in Srinagar, including a bunch of deluxe and medium to budget accommodations available, all promising the world-apart Kashmiri hospitality. You can also consider staying in one of the leading opulent hotels in Srinagar that feature well furnished rooms, modern facilities as well as recreational amenities such as various kinds of spa and massage therapies that promise some real quality experience and is close to most of the excursions in Srinagar.
While every season presents Srinagar weather in a new avatar, the alpine weather of the hill town makes it evergreen and the perfect place to unwind and celebrate your vacation amidst the beauty of nature. Owing to its snug ambience, the hill resort is very popular among honeymooners making it a ‘lover’s paradise’. To help you chart out a perfect vacation in Srinagar, here is a sneak peek into the weather here and the best time to visit the hill station.
Srinagar summers (March to June)
- Though the hill station enjoys a pleasant climate year-round, the best season to visit Srinagar is during the summer when the weather conditions are perfect to traverse the charming town. Summer in Srinagar steps in from the month of March and lasts till June. Despite seeing an average temperature around 18 degree Celsius during summers, the weather remains moderately cool and pleasant during the day, offering a respite from the scorching heat, and makes it just perfect for sightseeing. March till June is the best time to visit Srinagar for a pleasant sightseeing tour and to enjoy the spring and almond bloom and tulip gardens.
- Srinagar witnesses long summers and the weather is mostly pleasant to relax and appreciate the scenic beauty and the amazing sunsets and sunrises. Like most other northern hill stations, the sub-tropical weather means that the summers are marked by a stinging heat in the afternoons followed by chilling breeze and cool nights. It is advised to carry a pair of light jacket or winter clothes, as it is only sunny during the day time. Otherwise, early mornings and late evenings tend to get a bit chilly.
- Summer is also the ideal time to pursue all sorts of thrilling adventure activities like trekking, trout fishing, horse riding, kayaking, boating, skiing and paragliding on the Dal Lake. It’s a thrill for adventure lovers who want to take a plunge into the world of fun and adventure with their friends and family.
- If you want to enjoy the true aesthetic essence of Srinagar, plan a visit during the onset of spring followed by the summers. The months of February and March is the best time to visit Srinagar to cherish the pleasant weather, floral bloom, blossoming apple orchards, refreshing cool breeze, snow drizzles and pristine natural beauty of the place.
- Summer is also the time you can witness the dazzling rainbow colours of the Tulip festivities against the backdrop of the magnificent Zabarwan Hills at Asia’s largest tulip garden, Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden. Don’t miss out on watching over 60 varieties of the flower come to blossom during the annual Tulip festival that takes place during the first two weeks of April. The festival draws a huge influx of tourists who come from across the country to admire its beauty. It is also the time natives derive the much needed monetary push after the harsh and arduous winters, as it is the peak season for Srinagar tourism.
- You can participate in the Baisakhi Festival which marks the onset of Spring Season, and takes place in the month of April every year. The famous Hadimba Temple Festival is also held annually in May and is another summer attraction. These festivities bring out Srinagar’s resplendent self with a multitude of different events, cultural processions, traditional folk dance performances and merry-making.
- Nature lovers can also visit the Dachigam National Park, Baramulla, Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden and Tarsar Marsar Trek, to enjoy the beautiful natural flora and fauna of the place. Food and water are easily available from small shops located near the places that also serve piping hot chai and momos or other quick snacks. So beat the summer heat by planning a holiday here as the months of March till June are full of refreshing breeze and is the best season to visit Srinagar.
Srinagar Monsoon (July to September)
- Due to its natural location, Srinagar does not see a proper monsoon season. Nonetheless, Kahmiris enjoy the colours of autumn which usually arrives in the latter months of September and October, and transforms the place into a beautiful landscape. The deciduous trees of Maple, Chinar, Pine and Oak look spectacular with their golden leaves and it seems as if the entire city has turned into a gorgeous garden. If you like misty and peaceful hill stations and want to travel with the clouds and a little drizzle, then monsoon is the best season to visit Srinagar. Even though most tourism options like adventure sports activities will not be operational during the season, it’s still a good choice for those seeking solitude in the hills or a romantic escapade away from the overcrowded and polluted city life.
- August and September is the time when the monsoon sets in. The average high temperature of the season stays around 17 degree Celsius while the low average rolls down to about 9 degree Celsius. The rains start to slow down by September end and Srinagar witnesses a gradual increase in tourist activity. Although the weather can tend to be chilly at night, it is still comfortable for people to roam about and discover the city. As you gratefully sail through a Shikara ride across the Dal Lake, the cooling winds that caress you are a phenomenal sensation like none other.
- Stroll through the picture perfect Mughal Gardens and soak in their grandiose architecture. The gardens bring together Nishat, Shalimar and Chashm-e-Shahi gardens, located on either sides of the Dal Lake. The captivating aroma and the glistening yellow-red of the bright coloured flowers in bloom are sure to invigorate your senses.
- You can shop for some exclusive hand-woven carpets, papier-mâché accessories, walnut and almond boxes, hand crafted silver jewellery carved in intricate designs and patterns at Lal Chowk, Badshah Chowk, Residency Road, and floating market in Dal Lake. Consider paying a visit to one of the cricket bat factories and get a chance to meet sports fanatics who sculpt willow trees night and day to design bats for some of the leading names in the cricketing world. The cricket bat industry of Kashmir, known for producing world-famous bats, is second only to that fabricated from the English willow.
Srinagar winters (October to February)
- Winters in Srinagar stretch from October till end of February and is characterized by chilly weather conditions and the beauty of the place increases manifold. December and January are the coldest months of the year and temperature often drops to below freezing point accompanied by snowfall, and the entire hill station is covered in a garb of shiny white snow. It is highly recommended to carry a bunch of super warm woollens and boots. If you want to enjoy Srinagar weather in its full splendour, it would be better to plan your trip during the winters. The winter months experience a decent amount of snowfall and attract its share of footfall too.
- Winter in snow-covered Srinagar is enchanting if you would like to see snow or engage in other activities in the winter showers or snow. Most adventure enthusiasts look forward to winters as the sparkling snow allows many adventure spots like skiing and ice skating and breathtaking sights not available during the rest of the year. Have a good time in the snow covered hill station and play with snowballs in the winter season with your loved ones.
- However, as the days are a little sunny, you can plan to explore popular tourist attractions such as Harwan Gardens, Pulwama, Dachigam Wildlife Sanctuary, Badgam, Charar-i-Sharif, Indira Gandhi Tulip Garden, Pari Mahal and other landmarks during this time. Or you can simply sit back and sip hot Kawah and shovel down a plate of Tsot while soaking up the golden sunshine peeping through the majestic snow clapped hills. Don’t forget to gorge on some unique and authentic local dishes such as Kashmiri kebabs, Gushtaba, Yakhni, Roganjosh, chaman- fried paneer, Dum-aloo, Kashmiri Guchhi, Grilled rainbow trout and Mutton Kanti, when in Srinagar.
- The winter months are also the time when the important Shivratri and Nuroz festivals are celebrated with great pomp and show, which attracts many tourists from all over India and abroad. It is a wonderful experience to be a part of these big festivities in Srinagar. Shivratri which occurs in the month of February, celebrates the benevolence and might of Lord Shiva and witnesses famous temples like the Shankaracharya Temple in vibrant decoration that is surely a sight to behold. Nuroz is an Iranian festival celebrated at the end of the winter season, and is immensely popular among the locals of Srinagar.
So, this summer, experience pure bliss with your family and friends while relaxing and unwinding amongst the valleys where Gods themselves dwell! Engage in some rip-roaring adventure sports during summers, play in the pristine snow with your loved ones in winters or take a leisurely stroll through the meandering mountain valleys in autumn and make some amazing memories to cherish forever while in Srinagar! The hill station remains an ideal getaway for all those seeking respite from the scorching heat and overcrowded city life and is a must visit. In totality, the time of April to October is the best time to visit Srinagar. Without a second thought, start planning your next vacation; your nirvana is waiting for you!
P.s. You might like these related resources:
- Pristine Lakes, and Enchanting Locales Awaits – Experience the Best Places to Visit in Srinagar
- Experience Heaven on Earth – 10 Stunning Places to Visit near Srinagar
Hey! I'm Gauri.Sagittarius by birth, clumsy by choice.An engineer turned writer.Loves animals tolerate humans.Has a thing for pizza and old books.Expertize in awkward conversations and creepy smiles.