Nestled in the lap of snow-capped peaks of Garhwal Himalayas, Auli offers enlivening views to its visitors. Situated in the Chamoli district of Uttrakhand, its considered as one of the top skiing destination in India.
Auli Bugyal (meadow in local language) is located at an elevation of 2519 to 3050 meters above the sea level.The slopes offers a substantial amount of thrill to the adventurous skiers.
- The motorable road from Joshmath to Auli is closed during winters (December – March) due to heavy snowfall.
- The most popular way to drop in at Auli during winters is by the cable car service from Joshimath to Auli.
Auli has Asia’s highest and longest cable car that covers a distance of 4 km. It takes around 15-20 mins to reach Auli from Joshimath. The ropeway /Gondola in Auli offers the visitors great views of the exotic surroundings.
Auli offers hotels ranging from low economic to deluxe hotels for the tourists to stay.One can also choose from luxurious homestays to heritage hotels in Auli.
To book your stay with us Contact us.
SKIING IN AULI
Auli proves to be the perfect destination host for the tourists and travellers that visit the place. The nature lovers will be mesmerized by the scenic beauty the place offers, adventure seekers will experience thrill as they slide on the slopes that Auli offers for skiing and other winter sports.
Auli hosted the First South Asian Winter Games in 2011. The conditions for skiing are perfect here in Auli.
SLOPES OF AULI
The slopes of Auli are considered on of the best in Asia by professional skiers. Skiers can enjoy almost 20 km slopes, which provide excellent opportunities for cross-country, slalom and down-hill skiing events.
There are mainly 4 types of slopes IN Auli:
- 10 no. slope -WHITE – 900 m
- 8 no. track -BLUE – 800 m
- Temple track-RED – 400 m (for beginners)
- Composite slopes – 3.1 km
There are 2 international ski lifts for skiers that link the upper and lower slopes.
- Standing Ski Lift: 500 m, connects Temple Track with Tower no. 10
- Chair Ski Lift: 800 m, connects Auli to Clifftop Club
TRAINING COURSES IN SKIING IN AULI
Auli is also a training ground for those aspiring to ski skillfully with the help of qualified instructors from Skiing and Tourist Resorts, Auli and Indian Institute of Skiing and Mountaineering, Gulmarg.
The Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam (GMVN) conducts 7 and 14 days skiing courses in Auli and special provisions are also there for day tourists.
Click here for our Skiing Packages.
BEST TIME TO VISIT AULI
Auli is one destination away from your busy and tedious lives that you can visit all round the year.
- Summers (March to June) are very pleasant with moderate climate, with average around 15°C and ideal for sight seeing.
- However its advisable that you AVOID visiting Auli during Monsoons (July to October) – as it is rainy & average temperature is around 12°C.
- If you want to enjoy the ice capped mountains and snow clad slopes the Best Time to visit Auli is December – March.. Winters (November to February) are freezing with minimum temperatures below 0°C. Snowfall is very common and this time is ideal for skiing.
THINGS TO CARRY
- Proper woollens (esp. if you are travelling in winters) – you will need layers of clothes
- Carry good pair of socks,gloves,comforters ,jackets,pullovers,trousers etc.
- Carry water and wind proof jackets
- A good pair of gum/snow boots are advised
- Torch with extra battery
- Carry your personal first aid kit
- The tourists who are interested in skiing may bring the equipment of their choice with them. However Ski equipment are also available ON HIRE
- Carry a SPF 35> sunscreen and moisturiser and other toiletries
PLACES TO SEE IN AULI
- Gurso Bugyal: A 3 km trek from Auli and you reach Gurso Bugyal that offers picturesque views of the majestic peaks of The Himalayas like Nanda Devi, Dron Parvat etc.
- Kwani Bugyal: Its an popular destination for trekkers, situated 12 kms from Garso Bugyal.
- Joshimath: Its one of the four maths created by Adi Shankracharya and is connected to Auli by the highest cable car service in Asia.
- Chattrakund: Its a small lake offering crystal clear waters, situated at a distance of mere 1 km from the Garso Bugyal.
- Chenab Lake: This is not a tourist spot,and therefore is still unknown to many people. One must cross the Dang village, Joshimath in order to reach this lake.
If you want to book a comfortable yet adventurous trip to Auli, Contact us .
Share your skiing experiences at Auli with us in the comments section below.