Darjeeling, the quaint hill station from the remains of India’s colonial past needs no introduction. While planning a trip to Darjeeling travellers often wonder which is the best time to travel to Darjeeling. Everyone who has travelled to Darjeeling would straight away say that Spring months of March, April and May and Autumn months of September, October and November are the best months to travel to Darjeeling, which is in fact true. However, we present you a report of all the seasons and months for you to judge the best season to visit Darjeeling.
Click On One Of The Links Below To Go To A Particular Section
Darjeeling Weather: Year Around Report
Darjeeling Weather in September, October and November (Autumn)
- Autumn in Darjeeling starts in September and lasts till November
- Again one of the best seasons to visit Darjeeling
- Mist recedes and the sky is clear
- Best time to enjoys views of Kanchenjunga and Himalayas
- Great time for photography
- Sometimes occasional showers take place
- October is the month when the beauty of the city blooms to its peak
- The chill in the weather is pleasant and enjoyable
Darjeeling Weather in December, January and February (Winter)
- Winter starts in December and goes on till February
- Janaury is the coldest month of the season
- The weather is perfect to ring in the New Year
- It is also an ideal time for Honeymoon
- Snowfalls are not common in Darjeeling
- Hailstorms also takes place in Winters sometime
- Heavy woolen are necessary
Darjeeling Weather in March, April and May (Spring/ Summer)
- Cold starts to fade away and the weather gets pleasant from March
- One of the best seasons to visit Darjeeling
- Colourful Magnolia and Rhododendrons bloom aplenty all around
- Come May, the weather becomes warm enough to enjoy outdoor activities
- Sky is clear mostly
- Marked by some occurrences of hailstorm
- The town is filled with tourists
Darjeeling Weather in June, July and August (Monsoon)
- Monsoon in Darjeeling starts by the last week of June and goes on till August
- The skies remain cloudy and the city witnesses torrential rainfall
- As per records of previous year, around 700 mm of rainfall takes place in the months of July and August
- Best time to enjoy nature as rains give the hills a lush tint, making the town really beautiful.
- Tourist activities are sluggish, hence hotels, taxis etc are available at cheaper tariff.
- The temperatures drop and it is not as warm as summer
- Mist gives a unique charm to the town
Places To Visit In Darjeeling
Tiger Hill Darjeeling
Tiger Hill, located 11 km from Darjeeling, is the highest peak of Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. From here, you can enjoy the view of Kanchenjunga. You can also get a glimpse of Mount Everest from here on a clear day.
Located at the border of Jalpaiguri and Darjeeling districts, Samsing is a quaint and popular hill resort one should not miss on their Darjeeling trip. Its lush greenery comprises of forests and tea gardens.
Sandakphu, located at the India – Nepal border, in Darjeeling district, is the highest Himalayan peak in West Bengal. The special thing about Sandakphu is that it is the only place where one can four peaks above 8000 m from here. They are Everest, Kanchenjunga, Lhotse and Makalu.
A picturesque town in Darjeeling, Mirik is popular among tourists for natural beauty. It has the beautiful Sumendy Lake located amidst Pine trees.
Bhutia Busty Monastery
This monastery belonging to the Red Sect of Buddhist Lamas is located in Tongsong in Darjeeling and also called as Karmaa Dorjee Chyoling monastery.
How To Reach Darjeeling
Darjeeling is 87 km from the nearest airport i.e. the Bagdogra airport via NH31 whereas NH 55 takes you through a 69 km long route. Regular flights connect this small airport to other major cities of the country.
Trains from across the country halt at New Jalpaiguri that is only 80 km from Darjeeling. Darjeeling is also connected by toy train from New Jalpaiguri.
Darjeeling is connected to Siliguri by road. The route via NH 55 is 64 km long and the route via NH31 is 74 km long. This road trip is very beautiful.
Darjeeling Himalayan Railway
Also referred as Darjeeling Toy Train, Darjeeling Himalayan Railway is a narrow gauge railway line running between New Jalpaiguri and Darjeeling. It was built during 1879 – 1881. It has been honoured with the prestigious World Heritage Site status.
Best Time To Visit Darjeeling For Snow
Snowfall is a very rare occurrence in Darjeeling. However, you can visit North Sikkim destinations like Lachung, Lachen, Yumthang etc if you wish to enjoy snow in winter.
Best Time To Visit Darjeeling For Honeymoon
Winter is undoubtedly the best time for a Darjeeling Honeymoon. The weather is cold and the town is not crowded, making the town a perfect romantic paradise for newly married couples to enjoy the start of their new life.
Cover Photo Credit: Thunderbolt Tea
You may also like to know about related Buddhist places –