An eclectic mix of the old-world charm with a modern touch, Chennai offers the varying shades of traditional culture and tastes that make it a favourite tourist spot. Apart from its beaches and eateries, the city is also a shopping hub with various streets that satiate your need for budget buys.
Let’s take a look at some of these shopping centres that you can explore when you are in Chennai.
1. Pondy Bazaar
One of the most famous shopping streets in the city, Pondy Bazaar boasts of a wide array of street shops selling trendy accessories, clothes and footwear. Apart from the delightful snacks that are served along the street, you can also find gadgets such as mobile phones in the stores that line the street.
Best buy: Clothes, shoes and mobile phones
2. T. Nagar
Thyagaraya Nagar, better known as T. Nagar is the most sought-after shopping destination in Chennai. The area is full of saree stores that sell the indigenous designs of the city along with huge jewellery stores that offer a wide range of beautiful gold ornaments.
Best buy: Traditional sarees and gold jewellery
3. Burma Bazaar
Just near the Central Railway Station is the Burma Bazaar. A huge hub for electronic goods, the place has many stores that sell imported electronic devices such as handsets, music players, television sets as well as movie DVDs. If you are lucky, you can even get yourself an imported doll in this exclusive bazaar.
Best buy: Television sets and DVDs
4. Phoenix Market City
Possibly one of the biggest malls in the city, the Phoenix Mall is home to numerous international brands that cater to the fashion needs of youngsters. The mall also has restaurants and gaming arcades where families can enjoy some quality time together during weekends and holidays.
Best buy: Branded clothes
A small Rajasthani hub in Chennai, Sowcarpet is a narrow, winding lane with small shops that are full to the brim with vibrantly coloured merchandise. You can find glittering lehengas and sarees as well as fashionable accessories to go along with them. There are stores that sell kurtis and salwar suit materials in a wide variety.
Best buy: Colourful bangles
6. Cotton Street
If you are looking for some budget buys in Chennai, make sure you make a trip to Cotton Street. The modest street has hawker stalls that sell the beautiful cotton fabric at thirty rupees a meter. You can get dupattas and cotton kurtas as well as sarees in this place without burning a hole in your pocket.
Best buy: Cotton fabric for your custom designs
7. George Town
If you want to experience the authentic taste of Chennai, book your stay at hotel rooms nearby and visit the streets of George Town. One of the oldest areas of the city, the place is full of market lanes that shine brightly with vivid colours and make sure you can have a wonderful time picking up local stuff that will help you stock up on some of the best buys.
Best buy: Sarees
8. Ritchie Street
A favourite among locals, Ritchie streets is a labyrinth of lanes comprising a large number of shops that sell electronic goods. All these devices can be bought at half their actual price, however, it is best to visit the shops with locals for better bargains.
Best buy: Electronics
9. Anna Nagar
A prime residential area in Chennai, Anna Nagar is also a major shopping hub. It is the centre of many big brands that sell the latest fashion. These stores started developing after the World Trade Fair boom and are more popular amongst the young crowd, offering them a space to enjoy some recreational time.
Best buy: Branded merchandise
10. Panagal Park
Snugly situated near Usman Nagar, Panagal Park is most renowned for selling sarees and jewellery. Bags and handicrafts are also thrown into the mix. The green pastures of Panagal Park that is quite close to the market pull in many tourists who wish to enjoy a delightful shopping time.
Best buy: Jewellery and colourful bags
All set to explore the shopping delights that Chennai has to offer? Find the perfect hotel in Chennai near these hubs and make the most of your Chennai trip. Choose from the best hotel booking site and opt for the online room booking at OYO.
P.s. You might like these related resources:
- The best time to visit Chennai and the best places to make your visit worthwhile
- Historical Places In and Near Chennai That You Can’t Afford To Miss Out On
- The top places to visit in Chennai for a great holiday
- Savour These Delicacies While in Bali for a True Gastronomical Treat! - May 29, 2019
- Want to Visit Sri Lanka? Read the Ultimate Weather Guide for the Perfect Time to Visit This Tropical Beauty! - May 24, 2019
- All Set for Ladakh? Follow This Checklist for a Great Trip to The Trans-Himalayan Valley - May 24, 2019
- Six Experiences You Mustn’t Miss in Sri Lanka for A Fabulous Trip! - May 24, 2019
- Planning Guide for A Wonderful Stay in The Snow Land Himachal with Minimum Coin Shilling! - May 24, 2019
- 5 Bazaar Ramadan terbaik di Kuala Lumpur. - May 15, 2019
- Planning to Visit Ladakh? Here is a Seasonal Guide to Help You Plan Your Trip - May 8, 2019
- Visit These 7 Places in Bali For an Exciting Vacation in The Tropical Island! - May 7, 2019
- 8 Best Places to Spend Your Vacation in the Hills of Himachal Pradesh - April 17, 2019
- Places to Visit in Thailand - April 16, 2019