Sustainable design – sounds boring, doesn’t it? In reality, it’s far from it. This is the kind of creativity that could make sure that you have a part to play in saving the world. At OYOxDesign, it’s a large part of our design thinking. Sustainable design doesn’t just happen. A designer needs to ensure that everything in their design concept is environment-friendly – from the material itself to the means of transportation and its effect on the final consumer.
What is sustainable design?
It’s the kind of design that perfectly balances the environment, people and profitability. While the design is being developed and used, it should have a low impact on the environment. It should be non-toxic and safe for the people who create it and those who use it. While balancing the two may be easy, the hard part comes with profitability. Design can’t be a loss-making venture, so profits are needed, but they should not come at the cost of the environment or the people around the final product.
How can a layperson use this concept in their own spaces?
Recycle, upcycle, reuse – this has been the mantra of the OYOxDesign team since its inception. And it is followed diligently. Here are a few things to keep in mind while designing a space:
1. Use every inch
Whether you’re renovating a place or creating it from scratch, use it all. Space planning is an important part of sustainable design. If you plan every corner, every nook, you won’t have empty spaces which do nothing.
2. Use natural light
In India, we’re blessed with an abundance of sunlight. Use it! Wherever you can, plan windows and other openings in such a manner that you don’t need artificial lights when the sun is out.
3. Use what you have
Upcycling is the name of the game now. Use your existing furniture and fittings where you can. Instead of creating something new, you can always refurbish something that doesn’t appeal to you anymore.
4. Local sourcing
This is a great way to be sustainable and environment-friendly. When you source your material locally, you don’t use heavy duty transportation for a long time. This practice will greatly reduce your carbon footprint. This also encourages local craftsmen and artisans.
5. Keep an eye on your materials
A simple search online will tell you which materials are eco-friendly and which are not. Use the material that has no or low impact on the environment. These are likely to last longer as well.
Design – interior and exterior – should be a part of nature, not a threat to it. Sustainable design isn’t difficult. All it needs is, for you to make a commitment to saving the world.
Check out more such OYO Home properties here: OYO Home
- Girls’ Trip, Nostalgic Or Luxury: 10 OYOxDesign Homes For All Sorts Of Trips With Friends - August 3, 2019
- TOP 5 FUN BUDGET-FRIENDLY OYO HOTELS FOR THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS (JOHOR BAHRU) - July 24, 2019
- 15 Homestays in Delhi To Make You Fall In Love With The City! - July 12, 2019
- Living Coral: Pantone’s Colour Of The Year Comes Alive In This Chic OYOxDesign Home - July 11, 2019
- TOP 5 OYO HOME FOR AN INSTA-WORTHY STAYCATION - July 11, 2019
- Top Places To Find Durian Around Malaysia - June 25, 2019
- Environment Day Special: How Sustainable Design Can Ensure Our Planet’s Survival - June 4, 2019
- We bet you didn’t know that your Fave hill station also hosts a LIT Summer Festival! - June 3, 2019
- How to chill in the Queen of the hill Ft. Mussoorie - May 27, 2019
- Fancy A Serene Lakeside Holiday? Check Out This Stunning Villa In Goa - May 13, 2019